5 Tips For Ditching Imposter Syndrome and Taking the Leap
Updated: Jan 25
Just like almost everyone else who has stepped outside of their comfort zone and tried something new - I have had a long, ongoing battle with IMPOSTER SYNDROME.
“Imposter syndrome” is a term referring to a pattern of behavior where people doubt their accomplishments and have a persistent, often internalized fear of being exposed as a fraud.
I purchased my domain and created my blog over TWO YEARS ago and only mustered up the courage to share it with the world recently. I sat on something that I poured my heart & efforts into because I was afraid of what people might think. That they’d expose me as a FRAUD - you aren’t a real writer! You’re no blogger! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? Why would your thoughts be important enough for others to read? I let those thoughts eat me up and hold me back from diving into my creative passions. I was SCARED. So lame, I know. But I share this because know I am not the only one who’s felt this way.
After two long years of agonizing over being a wannabe … I finally went for it. And I am SO glad I did. I’m not “there” yet by any means but I am DOING it, damnit! And I have to say I really am proud of myself for taking these first steps.
I want to share a few tricks that helped me let go of my fear & dive in.
1. Remember that you are not as important as you think you are. All those people you think will be judging you? They’re not, they don’t care. You’re a blip on the radar. Let go of the self-importance that is telling you EVERYONE is going to care about the new direction you’re going in.
2. Accept that you DO have something unique to offer. Whatever “it” is, no one can do it just like YOU. You are unique & one of a kind! You bring value to any table you sit at because you bring something different than those who sat there before you.
3. Make a praise file. YEP. Save all the nice things people say about you. Just before I clicked “publish” on that first blog post, I replayed all the compliments I have received about my writing in my head. I remembered the times people told me I had a gift. THAT was the push I needed to let go of fear and take the leap. KEEP THE RECEIPTS! From time to time fear will creep back and make you question the value you have to offer. Read through saved messages of praise to remind yourself that you DO have something to offer, you have PROOF!
4. Don’t forget that not being perfect doesn’t make you a fake. Even the BEST make mistakes.
5. Let go of comparison - Take a look at that person who you perceive as having “it”, the person who you think is CRUSHING it in your space. Guess what, there are days they are just as afraid as you. Their perspective is in no way more valuable than yours.
So there are my 5 tricks for letting my imposter syndrome GO. Excite and exhilarate yourself by GOING for it. It’s okay if you’re not ready, if it’s not perfect. You’ll die waiting for the perfect moment.. SO …. 1, 2, 3 JUMP! And then smack yourself for not doing so sooner… I know I wish I did!
Keep it crazy, keep it beautiful.